In order to properly register with USA Hockey and WHOA, please follow the steps below in the order presented. If you need help at any time during this process, please email email@example.com with your issue. If possible, include screen shots relevant to your issue.
- Register with USA Hockey as official by clicking here. You must register as an official even if you have registered this season as a player or coach.
- You must wait 24 hours to register for your mandatory officiating seminar.
- To register for your mandatory officiating seminar click here. Scroll to the bottom of the screen to locate the registration box. You will need your USA Hockey Officials ID number. This number will be 6-8 digits in length (it does NOT contain letters). This number can also be found in your registration verification email from USA Hockey (all officials) or on your 20-21 registration card (returning officials complete in 20-21). Seminar registration closes three days prior to the scheduled seminar date.
- Enter the appropriate information, select a seminar, and pay your WHOA registration fee. You will receive a .pdf confirmation - save this confirmation as it admits you to your seminar.
- While waiting to attend your seminar, access your USA Hockey profile and complete other required portions of your registration process. While you can complete requirements in any order, the recommended order is: background screen (if required), online video modules, open book exam, and SafeSport (if applicable). For a PDF copy of the rulebook, click here. PLEASE NOTE: Seminars are not designed to provide officials with specific closed book exam questions. Seminars present current officiating concepts in the context of the rulebook and its interpretations. Every official is responsible to learn the rulebook and interpretations, not have instructors provide closed book exam questions.
- Attend your seminar on the chosen date. If you need to change your seminar log into the WHOA system as described in step #3 and follow the prompts to change your seminar. PLEASE NOTE: Virtual seminar attendees must have sufficient band width to view high resolution video. Viewing videos is a valuable teaching tool that cannot be replaced by listening to instructor narrative. Attendees consistently unable to view videos will be removed from the seminar solely at the instructor's discretion.
- At the conclusion of your seminar, you will receive instructions for enrolling in a seminar via USA Hockey Courses. It is necessary to complete this step as outline below as this step submits your seminar attendance to USA Hockey and makes you eligible for your closed book exam (Levels 2-4 only).
- YOU MUST COMPLETE STEP #7 BY 5:00 PM THE DAY FOLLOWING YOUR WISCONSIN SEMINAR ATTENDANCE. FAILURE TO ADHERE TO THIS STEP WILL RESULT IN YOUR SEMINAR ATTENDANCE NOT BEING POSTED AND DELAY COMPLETION OF YOUR CLOSED BOOK EXAM.
- If you are a Wisconsin resident who is registering with WHOA and you wish to attend a seminar outside of Wisconsin, you must obtain permission to do so, PRIOR to attending the seminar (per WAHA rules). Please email the WHOA Education Coordinator at least one week prior to your seminar date.
- If you live outside of the Central District (IL, MO, IA, KS, NE) and wish to register with WHOA, please access your USA Hockey profile and share your registration data with the Central District. You must complete this process ensuring WAHA/WHOA has correct information for the current season. If you need help completing this process, click here.
- Wait for your card/crest to arrive in the mail. Prior to November 15, your card/crest will arrive 7-10 days after you complete ALL requirements. On or after November 15, it will take 14-17 days for your card/crest to arrive. Solicit game assignments after November 15 carefully if you do not have your current card/crest (see #12 below).
- Returning officials who completed their USA Hockey and WHOA registrations last year can officiate games until November 30. On or after December 1, you must have a current season card/crest. All other officials must have a current season card/crest before officiating any games.
- Officials seeking state play-off and/or state tournament assignments must complete their USA Hockey and WHOA registration process prior to 11:59 PM on December 31. Please keep in mind USA Hockey uses third party vendors for portions of the registration process and may not update USA Hockey prior to the cut-off. It is strongly recommended officials complete ALL portions of the registration process prior to December 23, ensuring ample time for updates.
General registration questions should be directed to your WHOA Region Director through e-mail. Questions regarding registration account issues, name changes, duplicate seminar registrations, etc. should be directed to Duffy Dyer, (WHOA Education Coordinator). Correspondence should include the following information:
1. First name, Middle Initial, and Last Name.
2. Your date of birth.
3. Seminar location and date of attendance.
4. Screen shots of your USA Hockey profile showing all steps of the officiating process.