Most areas in Wisconsin do NOT use a centralized scheduling service to assign officials to games. Rather, individual associations utilize a Referee-Scheduler to perform this function. Officials, as independent contractors, should contact Referee Schedulers and provide the schedulers with their key information including registration status and availability to officiate to receive games.
Please keep in mind, schedulers may have requirements (e.g. you must submit availability ten days prior to the scheduling period) when scheduling you for games. Also keep in mind USA Hockey has assignment guidelines which schedulers must make every reasonable effort to follow.
The steps listed below are a best practice for obtaining games in your local area.
- Determine the association(s) where you wish to officiate games.
- Contact the Referee Scheduler for each association:
- Go to www.wahahockey.com
- Click on "About WAHA" in the header
- Click on the region (e.g. "Region 1") where your association is located. Keep in mind neighboring associations may be in a different region
- When you find the association you are interested in, click on the "-Assoc Info-" hyperlink to display association information
- Scroll down to "Ref Scheduler" to gather the appropriate contact information.
- Send an email to the scheduler describing your desire to officiate in that association. Include a copy or picture of your current USA Hockey officiating card (it is not necessary to send a picture or copy of your crest) as this provides your name and official's number for status verification.
- Be prepared to answer questions about your experience and availability.
- If you do not receive a response after a few days, follow up with an email, text, or phone call.
- In depth assistance for your area can be obtained from your WHOA Region Director.